[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at princeton.edu
Sun Feb 12 16:41:34 PST 2012

On Feb 12, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Ciro Scotto wrote:

> Well, actually my point was that I wouldn't simply label the chord at the moment of occurrence with V6-4 alone. I would label it V6-5/4-3.

Ciro, I have a (genuine, not Socratic) question: how would you label those situations where the music arrives at what seems for all the world like a genuine cadential 6/4, only to move on deceptively, say by way of V6/5/vi?  Would you use I6/4 in that case (since V6-5/4-3 is unavailable) or would you use V6/4 to register the similarity to the standard cadential 6/4?

I myself am a I6/4 guy, but I'm curious to know how to work the alternate notational system.

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://dmitri.tymoczko.com