[Smt-talk] Abbreviated Labels of Seventh Chords

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 12 19:23:06 PST 2012

Dear Jill,

I spent an hour typing a quote from Fetis. Nobody seems to be interested in reading it; everybody is busy "defending" things. No, there is no such thing as Stufentheorie. German theorists were very precise: there is Funktionstheorie and  there is Stufenlehre. So, there is no theory of scale steps. There is "teaching," which is to say, a practice, but it does not rise up to the level of a theory. And Sechter did not create such teaching: his statements reveal close affiliation with Funktionstheorie.

No, American pedagogy has not been Stufenlehre. Early 20th-century American theorists did not share the views of contemporary teachers of voice-leading. Percy Goetcshius was a genius, overshadowed by others. His understanding of harmony and form could have started a real tradition.

If Schenker had anything in particular to say about Riemann's theory, it would be interesting to learn. However, he did not read Riemann carefully and completely misrepresented him. Loud statements about Herculaneum and Pompeii aside, there are very few quotations and legwork with real texts. I am still waiting for a logical argument in favor of scale step teaching, voiceleading outside of functional logic and diminution as a principle of composition.

Best,

Ildar