[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Mon Feb 13 10:22:03 PST 2012

Hello again, Devin,

It is good that you brought the point that, those of you who label the cadential six-four as V6/4-5/3 have problems in analyzing unusual appearances of this sonority.

"For instance, in the case of I6/4, why does a V6/5/V proceed it? On
the other hand, in the case of a V6/4, why doesn't it resolve properly to
V--or even, why don't the voices resolve properly?"

Why do we have to have any issue with I6/4 going to V6/5; in fact this one example was given to us when I was an undergraduate student at the conservatory in Sofia. Not only this, our professor found examples of I6/4 four introduced officially as cadential (on a donwbeat, after a subdominant chord, with all the expectations for a dominant to come) but resolved into different chords, among them I6. The latter is a rare situation but is quite beautiful, and it does reveal the I6/4 in the light of the tonic, for there is no tension to resolve. In such cases, probably a good explanation requires to say "an arpeggiated six-four on a down beat".

In short, the more you consider the cadential six-four a chord in its own right (which exhibits in a unique manner the conflict between tonic and dominant), the less obstacles you will have in your analyses. But once you have subscribed to an extreme concept (i.e., the cadential is V or the cadential is I) you will continue to experience problems. Not to speak of the fact that in Schenkerian theory the cadential six-four does not exist. Therefore, all of these fine points and elegant nuances of resolution mentioned above will be thrown under the rug by a Schenkerian purist - in favor of an unquestionable V.

The same happens with the perfect ascending line 5-6-7-8. It is in no manner less convincing than the descending urline 5-4-3-2-1. But Schenkerians do not pay attention to it, for the theory forbids such a "heresy", and each time they see it and hear it clearly, they erase it and look "deeper" to find an imaginary line to replace it. This is an example of what I call "theory which bends the music for the sake of proving an inflexible concept." I am in favor of theoretical concepts which are flexible and open to the diversity in music.

Best regards,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music