[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Mon Feb 13 13:47:48 PST 2012

I don't mean that the Urlinie could be ascending, I mean that the
descending Urlinie is not an "inflexible concept", that it is the result
of a long reflexion, in which ascending lines were taken into
consideration as well. There is no reason to "reject" 5-6-7-8 as a line
(what would that mean?), but you recognize yourself that it does present
some contrapuntal and harmonic difficulties.
     Schenker's Ursatz is a model of the most general case. As such, it
must be conceivable in three chords only, I--V--I, even if in practice
it often supposes a pre-dominant at a deep middleground level. The
ascending line 5-6-7-8, on the other hand, always requires a
pre-dominant in its harmonization. But harmonizing 5-6-7-8 normally
requests another voice doing 3-2-1, which is the most general case and
therefore a good choice for the Urlinie.
     Schenker has nothing against 5-6-7-8, he does not describe it as an
"heresy" (your term!), it is not true that this line would not be
"accepted" in Schenkerian theory (again, what would that mean?). It
merely cannot be used as a general description of the most general
cases, for the very reasons that you state below, which make it a
special case, and also for the additional reason that its harmonization
requires four chords, etc. Note that a 5-6-7-8 line, in all its possible
cadential harmonizations, normally is accompanied by a 3-2-1 line; the
reverse is not true.

Yours,
Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne