[Smt-talk] Nature and Labeling of the Cadential Six-Four

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Mon Feb 13 17:29:54 PST 2012

Dear Jason,

Thank you. I think that we are bringing the issue of using the term "pre-dominant" by many American theorists. I will not postpone writing on this subject, but let me comment on the "dominant" and on the "beginning on the dominant".
I am sorry I will have to repeat myself.

You would hardly use the term "beginning of the dominant" for a real dominant chord with suspensions, for it instantly sounds as dominant at the very beginning. The proof is that you could instantly resolve it into the tonic, without waiting for its "second phase" to occur. This will produce an authentic cadence. The cadential six-four cannot do that, and it this sense it needs to go through two mandatory phases: initiating a dominant momentum in the bass and overcoming the tonic function implied by the overall structure.

Therefore, the label V6/4 is an incorrect expression of the beginning phase of this dominant process, for a true  "V" would have had the potential to resolve immediately into the tonic - even at the beginning level of V6/4. Compare to V5/4 which does not need "continuation" but can resolve directly into I.

We can fully enjoy the nature of the cadential six-four as a conflict between T and D when listening to some cadenzas in different instrumental concerti. The cadential six-four is usually dramatically introduced before the opening of the cadenza, and very frequently prolonged with arpeggiations. Do you hear a bunch of non-chord tones over a dominant function, or do you hear clearly arpeggiated tonic triad over a dominant function?

Thank you,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music