[Smt-talk] Abbreviated Lables of Seventh Chords and Labeling of Functions

Bruce Grant bruce.grant at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 13 21:18:16 PST 2012

Dear Dimitar,

Thank you for the sympathetic answer to my posting on chord symbols. My
system is in fact a synthesis of Riemann and Schönberg. It is unfortunate
that Riemann's reduction of tonal functions to the three primary
relationships is spoiled by his fascination avec the "undertone" series,
which doesn't exist in nature, even if the minor triad happens to be the
inversion of the major triad in equal temperament. Also the English
translation of Harmony Simplified, or the Theory of the Tonal Functions of
Chords (U.M.I. 2001, Vereinfachte Harmonielehre, oder die Lehre von den
tonalen Funktionen der Akkorde",1893) uses the term "parallel" for the
relative scales of major and minor and modern usage uses parallel for
different modes of the same tonic.

Schönberg uses "M" like you as well as T, D, S but his "Chart of the
Regions" (Structural functions of Harmony, page 20) gets pretty complicated
when it gets to SMsm or bmvsm! So rather than using mediants, I prefer
Riemann's DRm and TRm for the mediant and submediant in major, and TRM and
SRM in minor, because the mediants in the extended tonality made possible by
parallel modes don't have the same function. If the Rm or RM chords are
altered I add a lower case "a" unless an A major chord in C is DSRm, for
example. I also use "subdominant of", for example, Bb minor+6 in C can be
Sm6S.

Apparently, Schönberg didn't notice that "SMSM", the submediant of the
submediant, and bmM, the minor mediant of the minor mediant are
enharmonically the same in equal temperament. F# and Gb are the relative
minor of the relative minor and relative major of the relative major in C. A
circle is therefore formed by chords of the same function as in color theory
where the primary and secondary colors form a circle instead of the straight
line of the spectrum from red to violet when magenta is produced. So I call
the tritone relation the complement, TC, DC and SC, major or minor, by
analogy with colors, magenta being the complement of green for example. To
make a synthesis with another theorist, Hindemith, his "Series 1" of the
twelve chromatic steps would be T, D, S, TRm, DRm, TRM, SRM, SRm, DRM, DC,
SC, and TC. The three functions multiplied by the circle of four minor
mediants give major or minor triads on all twelve notes of the chromatic
scale.
I don't believe it's possible to be simple when dealing with extended
tonality. My system is simpler than Schönberg's, or at least uses fewer
letters, and the double mediants are combined. For diatonic music, roman
numerals are very practical as are your M and SM, since one learns rapidly
that SM is the TRm and M the DRm. However sharps and flats added to roman
numerals use a lot of letters too, like bVIIm. DRMa uses only four letters
instead of five!

I avoid lower case numerals also, and agree that indicating inversions is
irrelevant in analyzing root progressions. But I think indicating T/5 >D7 as
I proposed in my last posting is pretty clear for T6/4>D7 or V6-5/4-3. I
discuss these questions in more detail (in French, since I work in France)
on my website,

http://bruce.grant.pagesperso-orange.fr/8.%20complementaires.pdf

It might be interesting for Dr Meeus, Mme Poudrier, and the other
francophones out there!

Bruce

Bruce Grant, DM, Indiana University
Chef d’orchestre et chef des chœurs,