[Smt-talk] Subdominant versus Predominant

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Fri Feb 24 12:04:02 PST 2012

Only that we must not forget that harmonic syntax does not exist without a tonal center (T) to which all functions relate. Sequential order or not, it is governed by the tonic. If the sequence or progression modulates, the new tonic will govern.

In other words, the question "Which function is typically placed before a dominant chord" will receive the answer: "The subdominant function as expressed by IV and II).

I was also puzzled that Kostka and Payne consider IV a substitute for II. This is strange, given the fact that in classical and romantic music the typical subdominant bass is the 4th scale degree. II6 is a substitute for IV, not the other way around. In jazz, however, the II gets the upper hand, as II-V-I is the skeleton. Perhaps this is what confused the authors.

Best regards,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music