[Smt-talk] Subdominant versus Predominant

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Feb 24 14:27:56 PST 2012

 Dear Dimitar,

The analysis of syntax in general and of harmonic syntax in particular amounts to the investigation of the interplay of its paradigmatic and syntagmatic aspects.

> Only that we must not forget that harmonic syntax does not exist without a tonal center (T) to which all functions relate. Sequential order or not, it is governed by the tonic.

The governing function of a tonic is a paradigmatic aspect. Its final position in a given harmonic sequence is a syntagmatic aspect.

> In other words, the question "Which function is typically placed before a dominant chord" will receive the answer: "The subdominant function as expressed by IV and II).

That's a proper syntactic statement, which describes an interdependency between a syntagmatic issue (order of harmonies in a sequence) and a paradigmatic issue (constellation of harmonic functions and keys).
Sincerely
Thomas Noll

Thomas Noll
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll
noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona
Departament de Teoria i Composició