[Smt-talk] RN analyzers

Phillip Kirlin pkirlin at cs.umass.edu
Sat Feb 25 17:31:21 PST 2012

One goal which this sort of analysis can contribute to is a
computational model of how humans understand and process music.  It is
plausible that having a Roman numeral analyzer will allow us to improve
other music-related algorithms, like those for music recommendation or
algorithmic composition.  Having such a program would also be incredibly
useful for intelligent tutoring systems for music theory, or for
integrating into music composition (e.g., scorewriting) software.

Following up on Michael Cuthbert's comments, having a corpus of analyzed
music will also enable further studies to see if patterns in functional
harmonic analysis are related to, for example, patterns in expressive
performance.

Also, from a computer science perspective, the technical challenges of
solving such a problem are not to be overlooked.  Studying problems like
this may lead us to solutions that can be generalized to solve other
problems.  We may obtain new ways of modeling computational problems, or
for performing learning or inference using those models.

--Phil

Phil Kirlin
PhD Student
University of Massachusetts