[Smt-talk] Soudominante versus Sous-dominante (was: Subdominant versus Predominant)

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Sat Feb 25 17:01:33 PST 2012

Dear Thomas,

That is very interesting, especially because you mention the so-called "pseudo-soudominante" - Gb in C. It turns out that this bV or #IV may work very well in a final cadence; recently I harmonized "Lightly Row" in F major, and the final cadential progression of the simple binary form happened to be a sequence: Bb9-Eb9#11-Ab9-Dbmaj7-Gbmaj7-Cb7#11-F. In other words, sequentially we have IV-bVII-bIII-bVI-bII-bV (#IV)-I. Of course, some of these are secondary dominants, others are local tonics, and the final tonic is F. The bV is a strange animal; its spelling suggests bV but its contact with the tonic sounds plagal and suggest #IV. I explain this chord as derived under the influence of the Locrian mode.

Best regards,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music