[Smt-talk] Subdominant versus Predominant

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sun Feb 26 01:57:42 PST 2012

Reber, in this treatise of 287 pages, writes the word "sous-dominante"
only four or five times in all:
-- p. 5, when he describes the names of the degrees of the scale. It may
be noted that he names the sixth degree "sus-dominante ou
sous-sensible", i.e. referring it either to the dominant or to the
"sensible", certainly not to the tonic. The name "submediant" is unknown
in French (or was until recently).
-- p. 12, where he says (a) that the tonique, the dominante and the
sous-dominante are good notes to be doubled in harmony, and (b) that
they form the "bonnes notes" of the key.
-- p. 19, where he writes: "By associating the fourth degree to the two
preceeding ones (the first and the fifth), the tonal effect is complete,
as the set of the chords of these three degrees include all the notes of
the scale, as can be verified by disposing these chords as follows:" (a
figure shows the chords a fifth apart and labels them respectively
"domin.", "tonique." and "sous-dom.")
-- p. 41, where he describes the plagal cadence. "It consists in the
chord of the 4th degree (sous-dominante) either in fundamental position
or inverted, followed by the chord of the tonic;".
After that, the subdominant is not mentioned anymore. And it is by no
means true that Reber explains it as "a reflection of the dominante".

It is striking that, in more than half these few cases, the word is
associated with the expression "4th degree"; it may be reminded here
that Fétis never uses the word "sous-dominante" and always speaks of
"the 4th degree". I take this to be characteristic of 19th-century
French treatises, where the subdominant is hardly considered. There is
at most a vague reminiscence of the arrangement of the three chords
forming just intonation, and that's it.
     As to the French teachers of harmony being "proud of Rameau", they
explicitly claimed to the contrary. Catel's treatise was chosen against
the Ramists; Fétis derides Boely's "Les véritables causes de
l'ignorance" as being written in the defense of Rameau; Berton (1814)
and Dourlen (1838) nominally criticize the errors of Rameau. I can agree
that the French teachers of harmony were more Ramist than they were
conscious of; but they certainly were no "proud" Ramists.

Cordialement,

Nicolas Meeùs
nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr