[Smt-talk] Bruce Campbell

Elizabeth W. Marvin bmarvin at esm.rochester.edu
Tue Jan 3 10:04:49 PST 2012

We are writing with the sad news that our colleague Bruce Campbell, recently
retired from Michigan State University and former faculty member at the
Eastman School of Music, died on December 29, 2011, of a heart attack while
driving.  His memorial service is Tuesday, January 3 at 4:00 p.m. at
Eastminster Presbyterian Church in East Lansing, where he had served as
organist for many years.  A few biographical notes from his obituary:  Bruce
had degrees from Brandeis University, the Juilliard School, and Yale
University.  He studied organ with Anthony Newman, harpsichord with Fernando
Valenti and Ralph Kirkpatrick, composition with Leonard Stein and Frank
Lewin, and advanced theoretical studies with Allen Forte, Oswald Jonas, and
Ernst Oster.   He was also a composer, whose published works include music
for band, orchestra, choir, and many solo instruments.  Bruce had a passion
for hiking, travelling, and bagpipe playing, and had recently spent three
months living and working in Scotland's Iona Community.

We remember Bruce from his time at Eastman, where we heard him perform and
where we had many conversations with him about music theory and music theory
pedagogy.  He was well known at Eastman for his deep knowledge of Baroque
and species counterpoint, and also for his work as an early Macintosh
adopter and HyperCard programmer. Bruce was a ³straight talker² who was not
shy about voicing his opinions about our discipline, as any one who knew him
will attest.  But a conversation with him was almost always stimulating, and
even when his critique became particularly pointed, it still grew out of a
deep engagement with music and musicianship.

Betsy Marvin, Bob Wason, and Steve Laitz
Eastman School of Music