[Smt-talk] Bruce Campell

Elizabeth W. Marvin bmarvin at esm.rochester.edu
Tue Jan 3 13:29:29 PST 2012

Julie Nemire asked me to post this response to the list:

I was so saddened to learn this. Dr. Campbell was the advisor for my
dissertation at MSU, which was completed in 2002. I was pretty self-directed
about my dissertation, and he allowed me to be, for which I will ever be
grateful.

I took his graduate species counterpoint class and can testify that his
teaching of that class was sublime. I also studied HyperCard with him (still
have the massive manual at home somewhere!) and probably owe my fondness for
Macs to him, as well. Several of us on Facebook were swapping stories and
the many little gems he uttered are still memorable these many years later.
I specifically remember his great reverence for J. S. Bach (whom he always
referred to as "The Great Man") and for Heinrich Schenker.

May he rest in peace ... he will be missed and fondly remembered.

Best wishes,
Julie Nemire

Posted by:  Elizabeth Marvin
Eastman School of Music