[Smt-talk] Theory impacting performance

Joel Lester joellester at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 09:07:43 PDT 2012

Dear all,

May I interpolate a "commercial" announcement into this e-conversation?

My article "Performance and Analysis: interaction andinterpretation" (in The Practice of Performance, John Rink, ed., CambridgeUniversity Press, 1995, pp. 197-216) provides several instances of multiple recordingsby renowned performers of works by Mozart, Chopin, Schumann, and Johann Straussthat do or do not project various analytical assertions made about those piecesby theorists, and also briefly considers some of the issues about how we might know what aperformance projects, and about what those differences between performances and analyses might signify.

Joel Lester
Mannes College of Music