[Smt-talk] Theorists and Scientists

Sheehan, Paul Paul.Sheehan at ncc.edu
Sun Jul 8 20:01:19 PDT 2012

Dear Readers,

I have a wish:  that a couple of months pass during which time I would not see contributions to smt-talk (that is, the Society for _Music Theory_'s talk list) from those harboring contempt for "theorists".  I would like to hear some other voices.  By flogging the poor, dead horse of (let us be frank) theorists-are-inferior-to-composers, such contributors betray the fact that they feel threatened by the very existence of "theorists"--of people who think about music in a deep, meaningful way and about how to explain it to undergraduates, graduate students, "the public", and their peers.  Seems to me like a service rendered for composers might be better left alone by those it serves!

I am interested in new contributors to this thread and others along these lines.  Are some who have remained silent listening?

Dr. Paul Sheehan
Instructor, Music Department
Nassau Community College (SUNY)
One Education Drive