[Smt-talk] Movable-Do subculture in the Romance tradition?

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sun Jul 15 04:35:34 PDT 2012

The situation in 18th-century France was slightly more complex because
the solmisation then had seven syllables (including *si*).

The French had tricks to decide where to place the syllables. There were
basically two, the rule of the *si* -- that the "last sharp" (in the
signature) and any accidental sharp was to be sung *si* --; and the rule
of the *fa* -- that the "last flat" and any accidental one was to be
sung *fa*. Oddly enough, these rules apply both in major and in minor:
they place *ut* as the tonic in major and *la* (or *re* if a flat is
missing in the signature) as the tonic in minor. The singer could begin
singing straight away, but did not know whether he sang in major or in
minor, i.e. whether *ut* or *la* (or *re*) was the tonic. Also, there
was no need to look at the clef, which singers disdained as a device for
instrumentalists.

French theories of the time (e.g. Rameau's *Traité*) must be read
keeping this in mind. When Rameau says that it is difficult to know the
key of a piece, he means precisely that: one readily knows its
solmisation, but one does not know which syllable is the tonic. He
therefore suggests notating the key before the clef. And the treatises
about "transposition" usually are mere treatises of solmisation, stating
the rules of the *si* and of the *fa*, which allow to sing "au naturel"
independently of the key (i.e. the "transposition") in which the piece
is written. François Campion describes the two forms of the minor as
"layen" (tonic *la*) and "réyen" (tonic *re*).

The problem with this system, of which the consequences are still dearly
felt in our classes today, is that, as Campion explains, any "diéze
extraordinaire" (accidental sharp) brings about a modulation -- indeed,
it displaces the *si*. Our students today still tend to view modulations
everywhere. And Schenker wrote (I don't remember where) that the French
are like the blinds: they follow the wall with their hand and feel any
asperity.

I don't know when one changed from *ut* to *do*. It must have been at
some point in the second half of the 19th century. At any rate, nobody
would say *ut* today.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne