[Smt-talk] Movable Do Subculture

JAY RAHN jayrahn at rogers.com
Mon Jul 16 20:32:24 PDT 2012

Whereas Curwen's tonic sol-fa method is well documented throughout the British Empire, the (Rousseau-)Galin-Paris-Cheve system seems also to have circulated far beyond the metropole. Unlike Curwen's method, it employs numerals 1 to 7; like Curwen's method, it is movable: e.g., in D major, 1 corresponds to D.

I have encountered this 'movable-1' cipher system in East and Southeast Asia, where it is still widely used not only for 'traditional' idioms but also international pop songs. Ethnomusicologists have claimed the Asian practice is an adaptation of the French system, but I have not yet found a convincing historical account of such a connection.

Jay Rahn, York University (Toronto)