[Smt-talk] SIGHT SINGING BOOK

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 23:12:34 PDT 2012

Dear Stephen,

I would love to look at it. Please, send me a copy (or a selection).

One thing I noticed while teaching ear training in Oklahoma and in Baltimore is lacking of materials for the first stage, first encounter. Ottman begins with Brahms and Bulgarian melodies. It is here where a student makes connection between what he or she knows as music (songs my mother sang to me) and what is to be learned. Folk  music is extremely important in the first stage, and I do not mean Balinese folks music. No, local tunes, songs, dances. The Beatles included. I remember myself solfegizing a song about Zaika--a Little Bunny, at the age of four. This makes a connection between the natural song element, national style and academic music. Kodaly supported that, and others. Proves to be the most important for composers and performers.

Later on, it is important to introduce melodies formed after real music. Ottman's tunelets are quite inadequate. They are all too short, within a period. In contrast, French collections, Dannheuser et al.. present melodies in a small or even large ternary form taken from either operatic or instrumental repertoire. The middle section is always diffcult to sing, but that is the sign of a good solfege. In general, if solfege goes easy, it means that we are doing something wrong. Solfege=suffering.

Best,

Dr. Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com