[Smt-talk] Gravity (Was: Car names)

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun Jul 29 08:54:39 PDT 2012

Dear Donna, dear Colleagues,
I wonder wether this metaphor can be made productive without provoking a thought-terminating controversy about the incorruptibility of a natural law on the one hand and the freedom in musical creativity on the other. To prevent that cliché right from the start it might be useful to first acknowledge that Newtonian mechanics provides high explanatory power for the study of dance, say. This pertains to purely mechanical limb movements and - on a psychological meta-level - it also pertains to the experience and the mechanical expertise of the body/mind of the dancer. One could say, that this level of Newtonian expertise provides a medium wherein choreographic creativity develops.
I think that it is worthwhile to search for an analogous medium (within the human mind), wherein musical creativity develops. The "gravity"-metaphor is maybe too special, though, for a productive transfer to music. Hamilton's mathematical formulation of classical mechanics has been proven to be more flexible in many regards. It is therefore a better candidate for the description of a dynamics expertise that is exemplified in our body/minds. Paragraph [139] of "Modes, the Height-Width Duality, and Handschin’s Tone Character"  suggests a very first speculative link:
http://www.mtosmt.org/issues/mto.11.17.1/mto.11.17.1.clampitt_and_noll.html
The idea is that musical tone relations are organized in pairs of conjugated variables, such as tone height and tone width (Handschin's Tone character). We support our argument also with a side glance to surprising findings in neuro-acoustics.
At this year's John Clough symposium in Yale I sketched a hypothesis about the interaction of modal tone relations with those of counterpoint. It includes the interpretation of the subsemitonium modi (musica ficta) in the standard cadence as a "thrust reversal" of the tone character. This hypothesis enriches the grammatical interpretation of the cadence by the assumption of some psychological trick. A lot of work has to be done to nail this hypothesis down. Nevertheless I mention it here to challenge your statement that "we seem to be less successful" in defying gravity with sound.
Sincerely
Thomas Noll

Thomas Noll
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll
noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona
Departament de Teoria i Composició