[Smt-talk] Theory Textbooks (Musical Syntax)

Ninov, Dimitar N dn16 at txstate.edu
Thu May 3 13:14:46 PDT 2012

Dear Nicholas,

I agree with much of what you say; it is a matter of personal choice at some point, and I will tell you what I have based my personal choice on. But I wonder why there should be a big fuss about a non-existing minor, when the minor triad physically exists between the 10th, 12th, and 15th harmonic tones (mi-sol-si) with the ratio of 10:12:15, and I do not know why Riemann had to copy Zarlino in his procedure of obtaining the minor chord through a mirror inversion of the major (through non-existing undertones). Maybe their idea was to establish a minor chord whose root is an imaginary fundamental? Otherwise, the minor triad is as old as the major one, only that it resides remotely from the fundamental, which gives rise to a major triad. But acoustically, all those tones have been in existence forever.

I know about Schoenberg's theory, but, in his usual style, he begins a concept in very simple terms, and then he develops it into a labyrinth of complexity with many symbols and terms that I eventually relinquish. For example his strong, super strong progressions, and other types of relationship are based on descent or ascend, but do not reflect openly an element I am more attracted to.

I am talking about about stability and instability in the virtual sense of the word. If we accept that the only stable chord in the mode is T, then all of the rest will be unstable. The degree of their instability will vary according to their structure and distance from the tonic. If we talk about root position chords, the mediants exhibit the smallest degree of instability towards the tonic, for they share two common tones with it, and are physically closer to it than S and D. Next comes the subdominant, which shares one common tone with T (the tonic note itself) and is remote. Next comes the dominant, which, besides the fact that in its most typical form contains the leading tone, is built on the fifth degree which, when serving as a root, becomes the utmost harmonically unstable tone available in tonality - a potential overtone of T, which wants to resolve not by a step, but by a leap directly into the tonal center.

The remaining chords: II and VII, are close to T but do no share any common tones with it. They share two common tones with IV and V, respectively, and are very easily regarded as substitutions for them. Within the general S function, II will come after IV, because it is less stable (contains auxiliary pitches only, while IV contains the tonic note) and IV-II increases the instability. On the contrary, within the general D function V will come after VII, because its root bears the greatest harmonic instability as a potential overtone of the center. Paradoxically, out of context, a diminished triad  is acoustically more unstable than a major triad, but within the functional realm V exhibits greater instability than VII for these reasons.

At first glance, a certain discrepancy may be observed in this logic, though. If V7 contains all the tones of VII, and therefore V is the genuine representative of the D function, we may claim that II7, which contains the tones of IV, should be the genuine representative of the general S function. Indeed, in the standard jazz idiom II7 has much greater wight and exploration than IV, which is explained as a substitute for II. In in Baroque, Classicism and (to a great degree, but not exclusively), Romanticism, it is IV which prevails, even if it be II6. It is true that II has a greater drive toward V, because it is a potential dominant of the latter. On the other hand, the bass note which has  a stronger relationship to the tonic is the fourth scale degree. Thus the classical composers wanted to hear 4 as bass departing from the tonic, while jazz musicians want to hear 2 as a bass driving towards the dominant. Since I and II, both in root position, do not connect very impressively, jazz musicians replace I with VI. Thus the once prevailing mode I-IV-V is giving way to VI-II-V in jazz. But the two modes, as our colleagues from Barcelona pointed out, are basically the same functional orders: I is replaced by VI, and IV is replaced by II.

Therefore, I base my functional evaluations on the relationships of the diatonic triads with the tonal center, and think of this system as a simple and comprehensible one.

Thank you,

Dimitar

Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
School of Music