[Smt-talk] Just intonation and tonality

Marcel de Velde marcel at justintonation.com
Sun May 6 11:37:46 PDT 2012

Hello List,

I'm writing this partly in reply to several references made to specific
tuning systems in the discussion about the "governing tone".
I've researched just intonation full time for about 6 years now. A
personal obsession of mine.
So I felt the urge to share my findings on the subject.

It indeed seems logical to me that armed with the knowledge of the
interval ratios that make intervals "in perfect tune",  one can possibly
find explanations for tonal behavior.
However. This field, called "just intonation", is anything but clear.
In this light, the references made earlier where intervals were called
"harmonics" are I think largely unfounded. I will try to explain some of
the problems of the tuning systems based on harmonics below.
There are too many systems that call themselves "just intonation" to
mention. And none are currently unanimously accepted or proven to be
correct.

Having said that. I belief I have found which system is most likely
correct just intonation.
It may be a surprise (it certainly was to me), but I've actually found
Pythagorean to be the true just intonation system.
The infinite chain of pure fifths and octaves.
Here a list of intervals for Pythagorean just intonation:
http://www.justintonation.com/home/pythagorean-ji

In my opinion the main (very understandable) error that lead to all
these centuries (millennia even) of confusion about just intonation is
the major third.
It sounds very "synchronous" (and often better in isolation) when using
the harmonic ratio of 5/4 instead of the Pythagorean ratio of 81/64
(though this is timbre dependent).
But 5/4 for a major third and 3/2 for a perfect fifth will give
mathematical impossibilities for even simple progressions. For instance
circle progressions.
There are only 2 possible solutions:
- Comma shifts (where a tone, held or not, must shift by the interval of
a Syntonic comma of 81/80).
- Drifting progressions. Where the circle progressions ascends in pitch
by a Syntonic comma on every repetition.
The other solutions are either wolf fifths, or tempering each fifth to
get 1/4 comma meantone.
Of all these solutions, only the 1/4 comma meantone is somewhat
acceptable to the ear.
Problems like the above only get worse if one tries using even higher
harmonics, like the 7th harmonic in a dominant 7th chord for instance.
And there are more problems. When intoning the major third as a 5/4, the
tone looses some of it's individuality and timbre clarity in chords.
A Pythagorean 81/64 preserves the individuality of the tones and timbre
in a clear way. (However, it is as such also much more critical of the
timbre, there is no "floating" like in 12tone equal temperament to hide
/ muddy things, and no "harmonic synchronicity" of 5/4 which imparts its
own qualities upon the timbre. As a result, the Pythagorean 81/64 can
sound less than good with certain timbres, though I feel one can only
blame the timbre for this, not the tuning as it is perfect.)
Also, a 5/4 would logically be a perfect consonance, yet it should be an
imperfect consonance according to the tried and tested rules of
counterpoint.
Another objection is that to many people a 5/4 major thirds sound low.
This can not be explained by habitual ear training due to 12tone equal
temperament use in western music alone.
Furthermore studies have long shown that when singing solo melodies,
people tend to sing Pythagorean.
Only when chords come into play a percentage of people (naturally or by
training) start intoning for instance the major third as 5/4.
But does this make it correct? I think not, it is only an easy to find
"synchronous" interval to sing or play, but not correct for true
polyphony in my opinion.
There are more reasons why I think Pythagorean is the only correct just
intonation system, but I've listed enough for now to make a case here I
think.
I have not found a single "proof", but rather came to my conclusion by
means of many listening tests (many of those only now practical thanks
to computers), thought experiments and finding the unacceptable errors
in all alternatives.
In the end, problems for just intonation systems that do not adhere to
the chain of fifths are so large, that one will have to reject most of
western music theory to make them theoretically possible.

Here are several audio files in 2 sets comparing Pythagorean just
intonation to a few other tuning systems.
First set with exact synthesized waveforms, 2nd set with a sampled piano
sound (perhaps a bit easier on the ear)
http://soundcloud.com/justintonation/sets/tuning-demonstration/
http://soundcloud.com/justintonation/sets/tuning-demonstration-2/

Soon I'll upload audio for another convincing argument for Pythagorean
tuning.
I'm starting to successfully harmonize Arabic maqams, with full
retention of the beautiful microtonal intervals. A first I belief, and I
think only possible in Pythagorean just intonation.

Now for Pythagorean just intonation in relation to tonality.
The simplest scale is probably the pentatonic scale.
It is simply 5 tones connected by pure fifths in Pythagorean:
C (8/9) - G (4/3) - D (1/1) - A (3/2) - E (9/8)

For the major and minor scales add 2 tones:
F (32/27) - C (8/9) - G (4/3) - D (1/1) - A (3/2) - E (9/8) - B (27/16)

I've written D as (1/1) as it is the center of the chain of fifths in
the above scales.
The tonic chords of the major and minor scales are symmetrical around D
(1/1) and both use C (8/9) and E (9/8).
It's a very very clumsy way to describe it, please forgive me, but it
appears to me like tonality is in some a ways a gravitational force
towards the center of the chain of fifths, yet it somehow prefers to
rest on 8/9 and 9/8. I'm not making much sense of this part yet as you
can see. I think there is quite possibly great logic hiding in there,
but it is escaping me so far.

I do think the Pythagorean tuning system is the correct system to base
things like functional harmony on. (And this is mostly being done
already as it corresponds 1:1 with western notation.)
Other than observing in Pythagorean what has already been described
about tonality in normal textbooks, I've not yet found anything else
myself (sensible enough to share here) other than applying it to Arabic
maqams by seeing their microtonal intervals as (sometimes strongly)
chromatic intervals.

I hope the info in this post is useful or interesting to some of you.
And if anybody had insights to share on the subject I'm very interested.

Kind regards,

Marcel de Velde
marcel at justintonation.com
Zwolle, Netherlands