[Smt-talk] The "Governing tone"

David K Feurzeig mozojo at gmail.com
Fri May 4 12:17:32 PDT 2012

I think there's a distinction between logically consistent naming
conventions and "mnemonic etymologies" we make up to explain received
terminology of ancient vintage.

I'm not a historian of theory, but I assume that "dominant" to refer
to the fifth scale degree derives from earlier modal theory, where for
many modes, the dominant was the fifth tone. No doubt some SMT-listers
can enlighten us as to what "dominant" connoted to those who came up
with the term.

It's pedagogically *convenient* to explain the dominant's name as
relating to its function (at least as a chord--I agree this is less
obvious as a melody tone). But I don't pretend to my students that
this is *why* it was named the "dominant" way back when.

David