[Smt-talk] Governing Tone (Functions and Historical Evidence)

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Sun May 6 00:45:31 PDT 2012

Dimitar,

I do not say that history would tell us who is right and who is wrong,
on the contrary that it shows that right and wrong are extremely
relative concepts. For the same reason, "sniffing for proof" indeed is
pointless, as you say.

I would add, considering the diversity of past opinions, that any
"objective" explanation is suspect. If the rules of harmony were based
on physical, objective considerations, they would evidence much less
diversity. With this I am thinking of explanations based on the harmonic
series, mentioning the 15th or even the 25th partial, which nobody ever
heard, and which fail to explain why, in a chord of three notes, only
the partials of the root have to be taken into consideration and the
partials of the other notes are merely forgotten.

Names of notes, of functions, of modes, are but names; they can say
nothing of the substance of what they name.

Nicolas