[Smt-talk] Subdominant versus Predominant

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 12:49:18 PDT 2012

Dear Stephen,

I cannot agree more! Yes, it is the Subdominant which finalizes the determination of tonality. Schenker was wrong saying that tonality is unfolding of a tonic triad. In a very poetic metaphoric sense, it is true, but practically, tonality in music is created not by unfolding of a single triad but by interaction of several triads.

I wanted to add that I disagree with professor Biamonte that it is sufficient to have only two, that tonic is defined and dominant defines. If there are only two of them, perception can play tricks on us and inadvertently T and D will change places turning into another pair, S and D. That is why Schenker is wrong again when placing only I and V on the same structural level and reducing IV to a grace note. Music will not live and breathe with only black-and-white, zero-and-one, yes-and-no system, going from I to V and back.

It is when the subdominant added to this dead oscillation, the processual, dynamic, temporal aspect of music is created. The subdominant triad which possesses neither the central position of tonic, nor the energy of domination of the dominant,  presents something on the side and sets off the ballance: instead of spacial T-D-T we receive temporal T-s-D-T and everything starts moving and the storyline of instrumental dramaturgy unfolding.

Forgive me if I understood your posting incorrectly, but I have to confess, it feels like I saw the light at the end of a tunnel.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
Johns Hopkins University