[Smt-talk] notation query

David K Feurzeig mozojo at gmail.com
Mon May 7 11:24:40 PDT 2012

Dear Paul--

Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm looking for more detailed
information or history regarding (in particular) the second principle,
the avoidance of the syncopated dotted figure. Read touches on this
topic mostly to characterize what is normal in modern practice; he
gives little background and cites no other sources beyond a couple of
musical examples. He calls the syncopated dotted figure "Bach
dotting," but I haven't found the term anywhere else, and as I noted
it's common not only in other Baroque composers but in Mozart.