[Smt-talk] Subdominant versus Predominant

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Thu May 10 06:56:33 PDT 2012

Ildar,

If you do not want to consider my arguments, I see little point to
continue this discussion.

Let me stress, very shortly:
– that Schenker's hierarchy of notes is not half note, quarter note,
eighth note, in this order. It depends on context. Often, he adds a flag
to a note stem to stress that note, not to reduce it to half its value.
This is why he may add the flag to a white note as well as to a black
one. The notes that Schenker writes white are not necessary half notes,
nor black ones necessary quarter notes.
– that Schenker does not use the word /arpeggio/, although it existed in
German. He writes /Brechung/, which has a similar meaning but a
different etymology (it is akin to the English /break/).
– that the fifth does not represent "at the same time" a linearization
(or an arpeggiation, a breaking) of the tonic chord (its "divider at the
fifth") and another harmony. In this you conflate two successive moments
of the organic elaboration of the work. You may dislike this way of
viewing things, you may consider it subjectively wrong. But you cannot
state that it is objectively false.
– that the hierarchic importance of IV or II (as compared to V or I) is,
I think, a matter of opinion (as I said before). You refuse this and you
repeat your certitude that they share the same hierarchical status. This
makes further discussion pointless.

The rest of your message is irrelevant to the present discussion.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne