[Smt-talk] Subdominant versus Predominant

Richard Hermann harhar at unm.edu
Sat May 12 10:12:19 PDT 2012

Dear Smt-listers,

I studied with Oster, translator of Der freie Satz (Free Composition) into English, and also with John Rothgeb and David Beach. My official studies of Schenkerian theory and analysis or method were from 1976 off and on until 1987. I have been sketching since 1976 and have continued reading afterwards both Schenker and those who work at extending the theory/analytic method. I find the implications of this thought and the sophistication of the music and its interpretation still very challenging.

I also do not believe it was designed to answer all interesting and important questions about the repertoire it investigates; with the exception of Brahms, he did not think it applied to much late 19th-century music nor most 20-century music that he knew. Schenker's thought, however, does a very good job in the ears of an expert addressing the questions it does ask of the repertoire he considered.

In paraphrase after all these years since my study with him, Oster stated to my class that a strong grounding in harmony [scale-step-I assume], counterpoint, figured bass, and form was needed before the study of Schenkerian analysis. After extensive guidance from an analyst, the way was then open for serious study of Schenkerian theory. I would add that knowledge of the theoretical thought from the Renaissance through early theories of harmony is quite useful as is even more importantly significant performance experience of the repertoire at hand. Tonal improvisation and model composition should also be added to this list in my book.

Analytic decisions are very, very far from arbitrary and must be grounded in support from all of the subdisciplines of music theory listed above in a hearing/interpretation of the music.

I heartily endorse the 10,000-hour rule. After a good deal more than 10,000 hours, I still wrestle with the thought of my being truly expert in this area.

Best,

Richard Hermann, Ph.D., Prof. of Music
Music Theory and Composition Programs
Regent's Lecturer