[Smt-talk] Subdominant

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 07:10:22 PDT 2012

Dear Nicolas,

I think your theory of vectors is very interesting and useful. It adds living energy to Neo-Riemannian abstractions (otherwise, any two chord can go back-and-forth) and to understanding of tonal-harmonic functions. Perhaps, the geometry of these vectors can be more complex than just the straight lines (this is the question which is better to ask from Dmitri, of course).

My quotation of Schenker is taken from the English translation of Counterpoint. Book One (Shirmer 1987), p. xxx.

I keep reading it and cannot stop laughing. For example, on p, 33 he insists that "The cantus firmus must always begin with the tonic of the key." Is not this ridiculously funny?
He, apparently, misread Kirnberger, who wrote about harmony in the first half of his book and then switched to discussion of the counterpoint in strict style. The term cantus firmus has been never used in the tonal period. Even in the centuries of strict style, it was not always there. And cantus firmus is firmly associated with music which has neither tonic, nor the key!  Fux-the-confuser has "contributed" into  this misundertanding as well.

Schenker accuses Ernst Richter (p. 175 of Harmony) in mistreatment of cantus firmus in the bass, while poor Ernst just wrote some exercises in harmonization of unfigured melody! And what is the "strict composition in four parts"? Strict counterpoint (16th century) or harmonization (19th century)?

On p. 30 Schenker mentions balalaika tunes of the Russian provenance, trying to defend music of Bach from bad influence--also very funny.

OK, I will laugh alone.

Schenker published Harmonielehre in 1906 and first book of Kontrapunkt in 1910. Hugo Riemann died in 1919. How come that the great German theorist (the true Master and Creator of music theory as a university discipline!) did not pay any attention to two books which libeled his great achievements? How many copies of Kontrapunkt were originally printed? Were they sold successfully?

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
Johns Hopkins University