[Smt-talk] Subdominant

Slottow, Stephen Stephen.Slottow at unt.edu
Fri May 18 06:43:55 PDT 2012

I recently ran across an example of Olli's "partition" vs. "penult"
principles in the Minuet to Beethoven's first  Symphony. M.11 initiates a
falling-thirds sequence with three units (the third abbreviated) that
leads to a Gb major chord in m.19 that acts as IV/Db and leads to an
auxiliary cadence in Db. The sequence can be parsed according to the
beginning points of each unit, that is, in Vl. I, Ab-G F-Eb Db-C (leading
to Bb over Gb). But it can also, or additionally, be read as an Ab-C voice
exchange. I rather like the VE, although the compression of the third
sequential unit makes it harder to hear. I think, though, that this is an
instance where one can have both readings.

I also agree with Frank's statement that one of the strongest features of
Schenkerian analysis is its "interpretive flexibility (supported by clear
logic)," as is the case with performances. I recently published a short
paper on that aspect in Res Musica 3/2011 (published by the Estonian
Academy of Music). Olli Väisälä, however (who has an article in the same
journal), is continuing to develop more systematic and clear criteria for
choosing between interpretations. I'm quite interested in this aspect of
his work, since it is so central to the Schenkerian method.

Stephen Slottow
Associate Professor of Music
College of Music
University of North Texas