[Smt-talk] Subdominant

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Fri May 18 13:39:39 PDT 2012

Olli,

If you felt my message in any way aggressive, please remember that my
English probably is not as good as yours. Your question raises an
important issue, and I'd really be distressed to appear to minimize it.

I myself am in visceral disagreement with the idea of Schenkerian
analysis as a process of "pruning", of eliminating "light" notes in
favor of "heavy" ones, and in considering the Ursatz made up of the
surface notes that resisted the process. (I may be wrong in that, but I
cannot refrain from associating the "reductionist" view with GTTM.)

Gregory Proctor, in an recent posting, aptly described what I have in mind:

    For all the use of Schenker's name in this thread, the language and
    apparent conceptualization is almost purely Salzerian. The idea that
    one note is "more important" than another really doesn't suit either
    theorist, but the notion that notes of structure are separated from
    one another by notes of prolongation is entirely Salzer. In
    Schenker, each level is an abstraction which is expanded into the
    next abstraction until surface counterpoint is reached. There are no
    gaps between the elements depicted at that level.

Your stressing of "the framing points", your "partition principle" and
"penult principle", all tend to give weight to single notes. This, I
think, is a reductionist manner of presenting things (but I trust that
your description is meant as pedagogical). When I stress a
6th-progression from F to D, I do not mean that its framing points, F
and D, are more important, merely that the progression is an elaboration
of an abstract space delimited by these notes – i.e. of a triad to which
these notes belong.

The criterion of "framing points" may be acceptable as one of the
delimitation of a tonal space. But it must be realized that what is
elaborated is not the framing points in themselves, but the /Stufe/ of
which they mark the space. This raises the question of a Zug as
elaboration either of its headnote or of its final note: this is an
interesting question, which we might further discuss.

The "partition principle" raises the question of how one decides what
articulates a higher level elaboration. I do not think the I chord in
mes. 5 "subdivises" these 6 measures of Schumann's Carnaval; I think
that what somehow does is the voice exchange by two 3d-Züge in contrary
motion, Ab-C/C-Ab, mes. 4-5 (but so doing, I refuse to identify the note
that subdivises).

As to the "penult principle", I suppose it very much depends on the
context. Here, the penultimate chord realizes the chromatic inflexion
and transforms IV into V of V [i.e. transforms the subdominant into a
predominant; but these are words we should not dare pronounce on SMT].
So, indeed, there is some weight in this chord; but at the same time, it
is but a chromatic inflection, passing from IV to V...

To sum up: your criteria seem to me perfect as heuristic or pedagogical
tools, and I suppose I make use of similar criteria in my own analyses
or my own teaching. But at a higher level of reflexion, they should
shade away in favor of more abstract considerations: we should always
remind our students (and ourselves) that reductional processes are but
makeshifts for unveiling elaborations.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne