[Smt-talk] General term for movements, acts, numbers

Locke, Ralph rlocke at esm.rochester.edu
Fri May 25 07:53:44 PDT 2012

As a further clarification to my suggestion ("work-section"), I should add that, of course, part of the problem is with the (ontological?) concept of what a "work" is.

Among other things, an aria can gain an independent existence, separate from the opera it came from.  (For example, "Bel raggio lusinghier," often performed by sopranos, whereas _Semiramide_ is not often mounted by opera companies.)

An opera can have many versions, all with some claim to aesthetic (and social, i.e., through their acceptance by performers and audiences) validity.

Even instrumental works can be performed minus a movement (we almost never hear the Blumine movement from Mahler's First; and Lalo's Symphonie espagnole was usually reduced from 5 mvts. to 4, including in some early recordings).

Or the reverse: one movement can take on a life of its own (the Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber, which started out as the slow mvt. of his String Quartet; or the Scherzo from Litolff's Concerto Symphonique No. 4, which is often performed by itself).

Ralph Locke

Ralph P. Locke
Professor of Musicology
26 Gibbs St.