[Smt-talk] the impossibility of listening

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Thu Nov 1 14:03:48 PDT 2012

The recent exchanges on this topic notwithstanding, I do believe that
STRUCTURAL analysis properly speaking indeed cannot be extracted from
listening of attending. Should one conclude that structural analysis is
unneeded, or pointless, or at least unnecessary? I don't think so: such
analysis, performed reading the score, can have a tremendous effect on
one's listening.

Matthew Heap described the "ideal listener" as "one who is hearing the
piece for the first time". But that is an utopy. The competent hearer is
competent precisely because she is not hearing the piece for the first
time. And she is more competent if she read it, and all the more
competent if she analyzed the score.

While listening to an opera, one extracts a lot of information from
one's memory of the piece -- and possibly of analyses performed before.
Jacques Derrida's /Grammatologie/ is about the overevaluation of oral
language and the devaluation of writing. I think, as odd as it may seem,
that the aural aspect of (Western) music often is overevaluated and its
written existence unduly devaluated.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne