[Smt-talk] the impossibility of listening

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Fri Nov 2 23:43:37 PDT 2012

Daniel Roca wrote

> El 02/11/2012, a las 10:04, Nicolas Meeùs escribió:
>
>> I used to teach that analysis is about what is not heard, but that
>> any analysis is wrong that can't be heard. My students derided me
>> for these contradictory statements. What I meant, however, is that
>> analysis is about helping to hear what was not heard at first.
>

> At a more elementary level, I think that analysis is also about
> helping to understand what is heard, even at first. I often find
> that my students' ears (their acoustic brain, so to speak) do a
> better job than their  verbal brain.

I tell my students that both purposes of analysis are fundamentally
important: (1) becoming conscious of aspects of music that affect
perception; (2) enhancing one's perception by becoming conscious of
further aspects.

A point of comparison is offered by studying grammar or syntax of
language. With one's native language, the purpose of such study
corresponds to (1), with a foreign language, it often correspond to
(2). In different kinds of music, there can be a lot of grey area
somewhere between (1) and (2).

Olli Väisälä
Sibeius Academy
ovaisala at siba.fi