[Smt-talk] Doubling in Chords with Suspensions

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Mon Nov 5 23:55:06 PST 2012

A long time elapsed since I last wrote tonal harmony, but I think to
remember that my good old teachers told us that one important aspect of
the resolution of 9-8 suspensions above their root is the distance to
the root: the 9 must be at least a true ninth above its root. I don't
see how such a rule could be expressed in terms of pitch classes.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne