[Smt-talk] Doubling the Tone of Resolution

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Sat Nov 10 23:05:24 PST 2012

Some comments to Dimitar Ninov:

>  I do not want to refer to fine examples created by great masters
> as “breaking a rule”, but as an “expansion of a principle”.

This is a very Schenkerian way of thinking. Substitute "prolongation"
for "expansion." (See the illuminating discussion in Joseph Dubiel's
JMT article, "When you are a Beethoven.")

> The problem with Fux’s strict counterpoint would not be so big if
> some musicians did not take his rules literally, even within the
> 16th century counterpoint. Palestrina’s music is freer than Fux’s
> rules.

Actually, it is also "stricter" in many ways concerning melodic
motions, as Jeppesen describes (although Jeppesen's dissertation
shows he was well aware that there are exceptions from his textbook
rules).

> There are numerous cases of free resolution of the dominant seventh
> chord; a resolution that may affect any of the chord members,
> including the seventh itself. For instance, the seventh may move
> upward, or some other chord member may leap in an upper voice.
> Occasionally, a simultaneous leap of two or even three upper voices
> may be observed, and the sound is idiomatic (for example,
> Beethoven, Piano Sonata in f, Op. 2, No.1, second movement, measure
> 6). In most of these free resolutions, the tonic appears as a sixth
> chord and covers the exceptional situations.

This is mystifying. Is there really a "scholastic" rule somewhere
that forbids leaps of of upper voices in a V2–I6 resolution? I had
not hear of it. In any case, Aldwell & Schachter describe such leaps
"very characteristic" in the soprano.

> Having said that, I know that, usually, students are not taught how
> to resolve V7 and its inversions freely in a variety of situations
> that would suggest that. A teacher will penalize the student even
> if a free resolution has been executed idiomatically. Why would
> that happen? Because the teacher has not paid attention to such
> examples and is not aware of them. And since the book says that the
> dominant seventh must resolve strictly, he/she goes by the book.
> However, some books do cover aspects of free resolution…but our
> teacher in question has chosen to use THAT SPECIAL book forever,
> and it represents the ultimate judgement for him/her.

I wonder how common this type of teacher is nowadays. Perhaps I am
just lucky with not having come across such teachers in the
institution where I have studied and taught for the last thirty years.

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
ovaisala at siba.fi