[Smt-talk] Origin of Semper idem

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at paris-sorbonne.fr
Thu Nov 15 03:53:59 PST 2012

It first appears on the cover of Tonwille 1 (1921), but it probably
originates in /Kontrapunkt /II (1922 but maybe written earlier), at the
beginning of each of the sections: p. 1 (three-part counterpoint), 122
(four parts), 164 (five parts and more), and 171 ("Bridges to free
composition"). My page numbers refer to the German original, but the
slogan appears also in the English translation. It aptly describes
"prolongation" in its original meaning, the abandonment of strict
counterpoint (which, for Schenker, can only be two-part counterpoint)
for ever freer levels of writing.

I suppose Schenker coined it himself. At least, I found no trace of it
anywhere else.
(He may not have been aware of the usages of "semper idem", "semper
eadem" or "semper" described on http://www.thefleece.org/semper.html)

Nicolas

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne