[Smt-talk] Bach Quiz

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Sun Nov 25 10:59:53 PST 2012

After considering Eytan's interpretation, I tend to agree with it.
Thanks for this comment. The C# before B is thus not so much a root
of V in F# minor but a passing tone.

However, I would like to remark that my original quiz/query or the
answer to it had nothing to do with what *I* perceive or do not
perceive, but with an objectively definable thing. Can we find 5–5
successions in WTC?

There are, of course, several ways to define "parallel fifths," but I
think I made clear what I meant: surface 5–5 successions. Is this a
relevant concept for Bach's writing? I think it is, since so far no
one has mentioned any other instances of them in WTC (except the one
I mentioned in WTC II, D-minor Prelude), which suggests that Bach
strongly tended to avoid them, whatever the role of the tones in
terms of harmony and figuration.

In chorales, there is, of course, one fairly common exception, the
combination of V8-7 with ^2–^1 anticipation.

Olli Väisälä
Sibelius Academy
ovaisala at siba.fi