[Smt-talk] Online music courses?

hestekin at mun.ca hestekin at mun.ca
Thu Nov 29 11:51:27 PST 2012

A few years ago, we launched an on-line version of our rudiments course.
Rudiments is now taught on campus (by a grad student) in the fall and on-line
(by me) in the winter. The target audience for these offerings is primarily
non-music majors as an elective. We also offer the course in summer in a fast
track 6-week format for incoming music majors who did not pass the placement
exam.

As it has to "serve two masters" the course runs the gamut from identifying
notes on a staff through note values and basic principles of rhythmic notation,
scales, intervals, triads and seventh chords to very basic principles of voice
leading.

The format is reading material online, an occasional video clip and an optional
supplemental text. There are several interactive exercise on line for each
topic.

Unfortunately, for a number of reasons beyond my control, there is no online
evaluation. This means that because of logistics, evaluation is limited to a
few paper and pencil exams, a significant weakness. For the incoming music
majors this isn't a serious problem but for non-majors who may have little or
no background, I don't know they're in trouble until they're already going
under for the third time unless they avail of on-line/ on-campus office hours.

Kjellrun Hestekin
Memorial University (ret)
St. John's, Newfoundland

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php