[Smt-talk] Improvised Canon

Daniel Roca drocacan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 01:37:13 PDT 2012

Dear Dimitar

I agree with the need of written theory and its application, above or for composers (conductors, musicologists..) etc. As I am more concerned with education for performers and teachers, I think that more practical and simple aproaches can be valuable there. My comments imply that, at least in my country, there tends to be no(t enouth) diferentiation between both goals.

I understand from you answer that Pr. Schubert as replied to you privately. I would love to see more information about this on the list. I hope others would as well.

El 11/10/2012, a las 21:09, Ninov, Dimitar N escribió:

> Dear Daniel,
>
> Thank you. I completely understand and I admire Prof. Schubert's practical method. I was wondering about the extent Prof. Schubert has arrived at, and he was so kind as to reply to me. Actually, the achievements of those students exceeded my expectations for which Prof. Schubert deserves a praise!
>
> On another note, involving written theory of counterpoint. Yes, I agree that rules are a burden, and I am all for as much simplification as one can apply. However, we know that the inverted counterpoint at the octave, 10th and 12th is the core of canon techniques, including canonic sequences that transpose the material up or down once the initial imitation has taken place. Without these rules Bach would not have been able to masterfully work out his inventions and fugues. Virtually every invention (and fugue) contains wonderful application of invertible counterpoint in a canonic sequence fashion. For Bach this is the alphabet of canonic technique. If we want to understand this alphabet (and why we marvel at it) we must study it as written theory in the classroom, and I am sure teachers of counterpoint do that.
>
> With best regards,
>
> Dimitar
>
> Dr. Dimitar Ninov, Lecturer
> School of Music
> Texas State University
> 601 University Drive
> San Marcos, Texas 78666

_________
Mark Twain: Haz siempre lo correcto. Esto gratificará a algunos, dejará atónitos al resto.

Daniel Roca
Músico
drocacan at gmail.com