[Smt-talk] The Concept of Appoggiatura

Matthew Heap matt.heap at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 17:01:26 PDT 2012

Just my two cents:  when I learned theory (with the Walter Piston* Harmony*),
we definitely segregated appoggiatura out from the unaccented non-harmonic
tones.  In fact, if I remember correctly, we called an unaccented figure
that Kostka and Payne would describe as an appoggiatura a "reaching tone."
 I must say that when I first started to teach from the Kostka/Payne, I
rebelled against the idea of the all-encompassing appoggiatura because, as
Dimitar points out, there is a big difference between an accented and
unaccented non-harmonic tone.  I feel like they were (are) trying to make
theory a little more...user-friendly for undergraduates (which is a fine
goal as far as it goes).  Now I try to walk the tightrope of sticking to
the textbook, so as not to cause undue consternation, while emphasizing
that there is a crucial difference between the way an accented appoggiatura
acts versus an unaccented "appoggiatura."

Best,
Matthew Heap

Dr. Matthew Heap
Professorial Lecturer in Music