[Smt-talk] The Concept of Appoggiatura

Donna Doyle donnadoyle at att.net
Wed Oct 24 05:30:52 PDT 2012

Dear Dimitar,

Thank you for bringing up the essential distinction of metric placement. Of course, it's historically based and a crucial determining factor.

Nevertheless, the manner in which a dissonance is approached DOES matter, especially to the performer. Whether a tone is stepped into across the bar (or beat), sustained across, or leapt into across makes (should make) a big difference to the interpreter.

How about these definitions:

SUS - No problem, since it's partly defined by its metric placement

ECH - same, as its nature is to try to escape its destiny on a beat's weak part, then give up in time to fulfill the goal of its line at the beginning of the next beat ("IN" for Schenker)

PT - on the beat becomes APT

N - on the beat becomes AN (rare)

APP - reserved for tones on the beat approached by leap, left by step ("Accented IN")

In summary, both metric placement and melodic context need to be accounted for.

All best,
Donna Doyle

Queens College, CUNY
Flushing, NY 11367