[Smt-talk] Weakened cadential articulation in the early 19th century

Halvor Hosar halhosar at online.no
Fri Apr 19 02:27:25 PDT 2013

Dear readers,

I am currently in the finishing stages of writing my Master's thesis on
Viennese Kyrie movements c.1770-1830 seen from a modern /Formenlehre/
perspective, especially through the form-functional theories of William
Caplin.

In some of the 19th-century compositions considered (Beethoven's Solemn
Mass, and Masses by Schubert, Süssmayr, Hummel and Eybler) one finds
that cadential articulation becomes somewhat less strict than in earlier
works, such as by having a vii 6/5 as a stand-in for V in the primary
theme (Süssmayr's Solemn Mass in D), and the adoption of authentic
cadences to end transitional themes (Beethoven and Schubert), not found
in the works of earlier composers. However, these are isolated cases,
which I would assume to be part of a larger trend, only partially
represented by these examples. Are there written any books or articles
discussing this development in any detail?

Halvor Hosar
University of Trondheim (NTNU)