[Smt-talk] Chord Inversion

Eytan Agmon agmonz at 012.net.il
Mon Apr 22 20:46:06 PDT 2013

Dear All,

Like many of us I would also be very sorry to see Gregory off the list, its
dire current state notwithstanding.
Like Olli and others I was also puzzled by his remark. Although of course I
cannot speak on his behalf, it seems to me that he merely overstated an
obvious point for anyone who believes in the existence of harmonic
functions: rarely, if at all, can the inversion of a chord change its
function (the cadential six-four chord is a conceivable exception, but
perhaps only apparently so). For example, in the Bach prelude that Olli
cites the opening "contrapuntal" progression expresses T-S-D-T much in the
same way that does that I-IV-V-I progression that governs the piece's
large-scale harmonic structure.
This is of course not to say that chords always have a function. In some
contexts and usually, but not always, in inversion, chords are obviously
"passing," and so forth.

Eytan Agmon
Bar-Ilan University