[Smt-talk] ABSENCE OF LEAD SHEET

Daniel Wolf djwolf at snafu.de
Fri Apr 19 12:01:07 PDT 2013

While my own student years were sometime back in the Lower Jurassic, I can
still recall vividly that most of my cohort of students came to University
music study already well-equipped with lead sheet chord facility. Those
who had jazz experience were particularly adept at being able to assign a
name to any vertical combination of tones. A significant added value of
college-level music theory was precisely in the aquisition of skill of
locating those chords in functional and linear environments (i.e. real
repertoire) in which "inversion", for example, did make a difference.

Also, though I can't claim any expertise in vernacular musics and would be
happy to be corrected on this point, the assumption — perhaps due to an
orientation towards guitar chord and single-handed keyboard "voicings" —
that chordal inversion and voice leading are less important, or even
disregarded, in vernacular musics, strikes me as unsustainable. This might
be tested by a recognition test in which a number of harmonic progressions
associated with popular or standard songs are played but with randomly
revoiced harmonies.

Daniel Wolf

--
Dr. Daniel James Wolf