[Smt-talk] V(7)-IV6-V(7)

Olli Väisälä ovaisala at siba.fi
Tue Aug 6 13:07:42 PDT 2013

> I'm on the hunt for simple examples of the neighboring progression V
> (7)-IV6-V(7).
> The clearer the better. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Brahms, Piano Sonata no.1, mm. 36–38 (ending rit. un poco) contains a
V7–IV6–V7 progression in E minor. Taken by itself, this progression
is quite simple.

However, if we look at the larger context, more complex questions may
arise concerning structural hierarchy, since the IV6 is subsequently
taken up to initate a theme-like passage. I would suggest
interpreting this passage (mm. 39–50) as containing an enlargement of
the preceding IV6–V7 progression.

Olli Väisälä
ovaisala at siba.fi
Sibelius Academy