[Smt-talk] US music education statistics

Nicholas Baragwanath nick at baragwanath.com
Thu Aug 15 07:17:42 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,
does anyone have access to recent statistics for university music
education in the US? Specifically, I'd like to know how many students
enrolled on music major programmes in 2011 or 2012, and what percentage
of those programmes offered an accredited theory/analysis course.
Anecdotally, I believe the figures are in the region of 60,000 and 95%,
but I don't have access to the NASM Handbook to check.
Any answers gratefully received.
Thanks,
Nick

Dr Nicholas Baragwanath
Associate Professor in Music, University of Nottingham
nick at baragwanath.com