[Smt-talk] Examples of Modes

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Sun Aug 18 01:15:34 PDT 2013

What a strange question! Any book of Gregorian chant would provide what
you are looking for. Take for instance the Antiphonale pro diurnis horis
(http://imslp.org/wiki/Antiphonale_%28Gregorian_Chant%29), you'll find
hundreds of examples of each of the modes, each identified by a Roman
numeral (from I to VIII) at the left of the first staff.

What the book does not say, however, is _why_ these melodies are
attributed to these modes nor (therefore) in what sense each of them can
be thought to exemplify its mode. This nevertheless probably is what you
are looking for.

Harold Powers has warned us against generalizations concerning the
'modes', which, he believed, were not 'real', as you may know. His /New
Grove/ article (the 1980 original of which predates his warnings an in a
way was the origin of his doubts) remains one of the most important
texts on the subjecr. Powers' warnings were much needed but I think that
they may have impeded the reflexion on these matters.

If you read French, you might want to consider the text of my classes on
modal theory (already almost ten years old, I am frightened to
ascertain), http://www.plm.paris-sorbonne.fr/Musique-ancienne,
especially chapters 1 and 2. These were meant for undergraduate
students, especially students by correspondence. They hardly consider
the historical aspect of the matter and are criticable on this point. I
believe nevertheless that my synchronic point of view makes it possible
to untangle a difficult matter and to explain in simple terms a matter
that remains complex.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne