[Smt-talk] Caution versus Generalization

Marcel de Velde marcel at justintonation.com
Mon Aug 26 15:26:00 PDT 2013

Dear Dimitar,

Thank you for sharing your insights.
And I find the subject very interesting.

I've not yet tested my personal views on the dissonance of the 6/4
chords with any rigor, but will still share them here as perhaps they
are interesting to you or others on this list as well.
The way I think I tend to hear the dissonant quality of a 6/4 chord is
when I truly hear the bass as the root which to me, in the context of
music based mainly on major / minor triads, means that I hear an implied
perfect fifth above the bass.
This perfect fifth, even though not played, is still virtually present
for me in the chord, so when the chord G-C-E is played I think I'm
hearing it as G-C-[D]-E (and perhaps even G-[B]-C-[D]-E) in a way), in
which case the dissonance is easily explained.
While this is also the case for first inversion chords, the "virtual
perfect fifth" does not create the same dissonance for first inversion
chords as this makes E-G-[B]-C and C-E-[G]-A which are fairly consonant
chords.

Kind regards,

Marcel de Velde
Zwolle, Netherlands