[Smt-talk] Examples of Modes

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Wed Aug 28 14:06:47 PDT 2013

Fiona,

Unfortnuately, I cannot have access to your book just now; but I read
your paper "Arripui hymnarium" in /De musica disserenda/, which gave me
an idea of your hypothesis. I am very interested with tonal centricity,
which to me is essential to the very notion of 'modality'. I believe,
for instance, that late medieval and Renaissance polyphony is modal
because it evidences tonal centricity.
     I have two questions, however; I am aware that I may find an answer
at least to the first one in your book, which I intend to read as soon
as possible: in that case, don't bother to answer it.

The first question is: do you think that the leap upward from the final
is somehow a 'natural', unconscious feature of modes, or do you view it
as a conventional way of signaling the tonal center? On the one hand I
fail to see how such feature could result, say, from the structure of
the diatonic system; it is true that most melodies of the world tend to
leap upwards and to descend stepwise, as I think Curt Sachs already
noted, but I don't see why the leap should be from the final (especially
that it would have to be from an intermediate final). On the other hand
I know that music does make use of conscious signaling, particularly in
ensemble singing, but I don't immediately see the reason for this in the
case of church modes.

The second question that I have concerns the special case of psalm
antiphons: many of these are too short to include any internal cadence,
or upwards leaps of any kind (unless at the very beginning, but then not
always upwards from the final). On the other hand, it is in that case
that the tonal centre may be of "vital importance", as you write. I can
see your point when dealing with hymns, but there the question of
joining bits of music does not arise, I think.

There are many subsidiary questions that immediately arise:
– I thought that the notion of "final" did not appear in medieval theory
before Hucbald, i.e. at a time when the modes were close to being
"turned into scales". Is your hypothesis to be linked with the interval
between final and tenor (reciting tone)?
– The joining of antiphons with psalm verses concerns not only the end
of the antiphon and the beginning of the psalm tone (which very much
involves the final as tonal centre), but also the end of the tone with
the beginning of the antiphon, which depends on the particular
differentia used.
– Did you consider what Jacques de Liège (and others, probably) had to
say of melodies which did not end on their proper final because of a
mistake of the singers, who ended on one of the affinals? Would these
cases concern melodies lacking the upwards leap that you describe?
– Etc., but these will suffice for the time being.

I presume that the upwards leaps that you describe could often be from
the final to the reciting note, what may suffice as
justification/explanation, and which may link to the later theory of
fifth and fourth species. But does not this raise a question of
chronology (considering the theory of "cordes mères", of tenor and final
at first not being distinct)? I'd very much like to hear your opinion
about all this.

Nicolas Meeùs
Université Paris-Sorbonne