[Smt-talk] Caution versus Generalization

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 11:14:01 PDT 2013

Dear Nicolas and the list,

exactly, the weak spot in theory in general is a conflict between what we see (a smooth parsimonious connection of IV to V, obvious semantics of Subdominant as Predominant and, as such, the adjacency to Dominant) and what real theory suggests: not to see what everyone sees and to see what no one can see. There is no abyss between Subdominant and Dominant, has never been and will never be.  At least, it does not make Bach jump in a salto mortale over it: he always most gracefully steps from IV to V and this connection is one of the most musically enjoyable among all others. Counterpoint has never been based upon mere visual adjacency. Good counterpoint can create a  maximally smooth connection of two tones at a m7, the fifth is neither close, nor far from the fourth. The musical grammar (and syntax) is special, different from what an average well-educated person can see. And there is no way around it, no fast food lines, no contrivances, no smart
 concepts.

In this sense, Der Quintengeist der Stufen just as "biological urge of tones" and double slurs remind me of ABGlucose, a tablet which mediaeval doctors prescribed as panacea from all diseases to humans as well to live stock. I wonder, why do we spend so much time learning music if it only takes the Spirit of the Fifth to dawn on us in a single act of epiphany?

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com